Can rabbits be fed apples and other fruits
Rabbits today are becoming more widespread, not only as production, but also as decorative animals. The animal is quite specific in terms of nutrition, and if farmers know all the details about the diet of the eared, then pet owners often have many questions. In particular, one of the most frequently asked questions is whether rabbits can be fed apples.
Is it possible to give rabbits apples
Tasty juicy fruits can be eaten by rabbits, but there are a number of factors to keep in mind. First of all, it is worth taking into account the weak intestines of animals, which can not digest any food. In this regard, they should be accustomed to apples, starting with a small wedge and gradually increasing the portion.
Important! Apples are contraindicated for decorative animals.
Useful types include:
- homework - grown in their own garden, they are always fresh and do not contain harmful chemicals;
- matured - in such fruits there is a maximum amount of nutrients and vitamins, thereby increasing their benefit;
- fresh - Fruits that were recently picked are best absorbed by furry animals.
Did you know? The number of rabbits on the planet has already exceeded 100 million.
There are several types that should be avoided:
- green, unripe - the fruits have not yet fully formed, and therefore are more likely to harm the body than bring benefits;
- stale - most of the vitamins such fruits are already deprived;
- purchased - contain a large number of chemicals and few useful substances. Occasionally, purchased fruits can be eaten if the peel is removed from them.
What varieties can and should not be given to rabbits
In fact, the apple variety is not very important for these animals. When choosing them, you should focus on freshness and ripeness. Preference should be given to:
- red varieties - such fruits contain all the vitamins necessary for furry animals for their full development. In addition, they are easily digested by their digestive system;
- early ripening varieties, - they contain the maximum amount of nutrients.
- scum - fruits that have fallen from a tree are often susceptible to mechanical damage and begin to rot, losing their beneficial properties and thus making the carrion unfit for consumption;
- green fruits - substances contained in green varieties are poorly digested and absorbed by the animal organism.One of these varieties is White Bulk.
How to feed rabbits with apples
Features of the digestive system of these animals necessitate the gradual introduction of apples into the diet of rabbits. In particular, they determine how many fruits an animal can consume.
Important! Apples should remain a supplement to the diet, not its basis.
Norm per day
Owning animals, it is important to know how much apples can be given to them. The norm per day is limited to one fruit. The habituation process is as follows:
- Give the animal a small piece and then do not give it for several days, following its reaction.
- If the reaction is adequate, give a few more days for a slice, gradually increasing it in size.
- After a week, give the animal half of the fetus.
- If the reaction to the half is normal (there were no problems with digestion), then after a week you can give a whole apple.
Combination with other products
Apples should be served as dessert after the main meal. Universal rabbit nutrition, including all nutrients, is important for rabbit health. First, the animal needs a full meal - hay, grass and food, and then it can already be rewarded with fruit as a source of vitamins.
Feeding rabbits with other fruits
Other fruits can be used as food. Most of them can be easily bought at any store.
What kind of fruit can I feed
Allowed fruits include:
Forbidden treats include:
Did you know? Rabbits can become addicted to treats and boycott the rest of the food, in which case it is worth excluding fruits from their diet.
Rabbit Feeding Guidelines
Key recommendations for feeding rabbits include:
- gradual introduction of new products;
- the exclusion of such food from the diet at the first sign of rejection by animals;
- a combination of apples with herbs, hay and feed;
- eating fruit only as a dessert;
- use of fresh fruits, preferably own production.
Like other fruits, apples can supplement the rabbit diet. However, do not give more than one fruit per day or try to replace grass or food with them. The key to animal health is comprehensive nutrition, including both fruits and plant crops and herbs.